Monday 11 November 2013

What we did on Sunday.

Pascal Pinon
Rachel, David and I are all big fans of Pascal Pinon pascalpinon.com/‎. They are twin Sisters from Iceland and look far too young to be creating such beautiful and sophisticated music.

We decided yesterday to record one of the tracks from their fabulous album called 'When I Can't Sleep' I particularly love that track because of an experience I had listening to it travelling on a train. My father has recently died and I was experiencing a double sense of loss as my mother also died 13 years ago and the emotions from loosing her came up for me as well. Listening to that track and looking at the sun going down I suddenly got an experience of absolute bliss and a real sense that they were watching me and sending me their love. Music has always been the thing - like I'm sure it is for most people-that can move me beyond anything. I remember as a kid bursting into tears every time a choir or an orchestra started performing. I also clearly remember leaping up and down on the sofa when I was 7 years old ecstatic with un-repressable joy the first time I heard 'Telstar' by the Tornados.

So we were a bit nervous about covering this song yesterday and had decided that to do a straight cover made little sense. So for what it's worth we did our own interpretation. We started by Rachel and David working out the chords. I'm rubbish doing this! We then sat and worked out some parts before I went to the iphone and began building a backing track. First Mo Tuckerish  drums followed by distorted and hugely reverbed guitar to provide a layer for picky guitar, played by Rachel. Then later in the day David put down a fantastic bass line. He's only twelve but says to me 'no Dad I want to do it again because the groove wasn't right'!

So tonight Rachel is going to record a live piano and then we going to work on the vocals.


No comments:

Post a Comment